Plate No 5

Plate No 5

Closed hangar at the National Museum of Flight, East Fortune, East Lothian. The airfield was established as a Royal Navy Air Station for fighters and airships in 1915, and later became RAF East Fortune, serving first as a training establishment and then as the base for a Mosquito squadron in WWII. Although officially closed between 1947 and 1960, civil service records indicate that Bill MacKraken was posted here in the 1950s. Since the foundation of what was originally the Scottish Museum of Flight in 1975, many aircraft and aerospace-related artefacts have been acquired, including the Alpha Alpha Concorde, but like all such depositories, by no means all of the holdings are on public display.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer:
Plate No 5

Plate No 5

Closed hangar at the National Museum of Flight, East Fortune, East Lothian. The airfield was established as a Royal Navy Air Station for fighters and airships in 1915, and later became RAF East Fortune, serving first as a training establishment and then as the base for a Mosquito squadron in WWII. Although officially closed between 1947 and 1960, civil service records indicate that Bill MacKraken was posted here in the 1950s. Since the foundation of what was originally the Scottish Museum of Flight in 1975, many aircraft and aerospace-related artefacts have been acquired, including the Alpha Alpha Concorde, but like all such depositories, by no means all of the holdings are on public display.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer: